We have reached that magical point in the week where all thoughts turn to kickers – Kicker Friday. Mark Schofield and Chuck Zodda host the May 6 Quick Kicks Podcast as we wrap up our week of post-draft coverage, this time examining the specialists that were selected during and signed after the 2016 NFL Draft. While Florida State’s Roberto Aguayo drew much of the attention with his second round selection, there are a plethora of kickers that signed free agent deals once the draft wrapped up. Topics on this show include:
- The Aguayo pick, and whether or not it makes sense for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, as well as the outlook for Aguayo given the circumstances in which he was acquired (1:26)
- The reasons for Aguayo being the only kicker selected, with other talented specialists such as Duke’s Ross Martin and Maryland’s Brad Craddock not hearing their names called (4:54)
- The Cleveland Browns and their signings of two kickers in the free agent process and how their competition is likely to shake out in training camp (8:21)
- Anthony Pistelli of Samford University and his signing with the New Orleans Saints, as well as the longer path he likely has to picking up a starting spot in the NFL (10:29)
- The 2016 punting class and how soon punters such as Drew Kaser, Lachlan Edwards, and Riley Dixon will be able to make an impact at the NFL level (14:56)
- The process of drafting long-snappers and why it generally is avoided due to minimal to zero upside in most situations (19:06)
If you are having trouble with the embedded player, listen on our SoundCloud page.
Subscribe to ITP: The Podcast on our iTunes page.
Follow us on Twitter @ITPylon.