Taking a break from the NFL, the August 11 Quick Kicks Podcast turns to college football and in particular two SEC offenses, Tennessee and Alabama. Chuck Zodda and Mark Schofield break down Tennessee’s favorite passing plays and some of their returning weapons as they try and compete for the SEC West. This includes seldom talked about Tennessee tight end Ethan Wolf, who plays an important role in the offense and may break out in the upcoming season. They also discuss Alabama’s offense and how they manage to spread the ball out to their many talented offensive weapons. One way they do this is a heavy dose of run/pass option plays where the quarterback has to use common sense to make quick decisions to fool the defense. Other topics this episode include:
- Key returning offensive weapons for Tennessee and breaking down the double post play they run (1:20)
- Tennessee tight end Ethan Wolf and his role in the double post play (4:44)
- How Alabama uses a run/pass option on a inside zone run play (11:10)
- Why the run/pass option uses shorter, easier pass routes instead of ones that require more difficult throws (14:02)
- How coaches teach quarterbacks to use the run/pass option (15:47)
- How Alabama uses the run/pass option to confuse defenses and get the ball to their talented offensive players (17:43)
If you are having trouble with the embedded player, listen on our SoundCloud page.
Subscribe to ITP: The Podcast on our iTunes page.
Follow us on Twitter @ITPylon.