We have reached the halfway point of the NFL season, which means it’s time for the first half awards and seeing as it’s Kicker Friday at Inside the Pylon, punters will be the focus. On the November 11 Quick Kicks Podcast Chuck Zodda and Mark Schofield discuss the top NFL punters of the first half of the season and two who have disappointed so far. There are about six punters in the top tier who deserve praise for their play with each having different ways of being effective, but so far this year three punters have shown the consistency and skill to be the top punters from the first half. Johnny Hekker of the Rams has been among the best punters in the league for a while now, but he is joined by two others who have upped their game tremendously. Other topics include:
- The play of Rams punter Johnny Hekker and what makes his punting effective (3:04)
- Where is Hekker punting from on average and how it compares to other top punters (6:54)
- The top punter of the first half, the New Orleans Saints’ Thomas Morestead (8:26)
- The dancing Marquette King of the Oakland Raiders and how he has improved from previous years(13:12)
- Two punters who have disappointed so far this season and why they have struggled (18:00)
- Other punters who just missed the cut and may show up on the end of the year awards list (21:45)
If you are having trouble with the embedded player, listen on our SoundCloud page.
Subscribe to ITP: The Podcast on our iTunes page.
Follow us on Twitter @ITPylon.
Filligar, “Guilty Good Intentions“
Ronald Jenkees, “Disorganized Fun“