Training camp is in full swing, with the Pittsburgh Steelers now 14 practices deep as they look to put together another playoff run in the upcoming season. The August 3 Quick Kicks Podcast examines the key stories of Steelers camp to this point, with Chuck Zodda and Mark Schofield joined by Alex Kozora of Steelers Depot to discuss some of the major happenings thus far. While Pittsburgh was able to reach the Divisional Round of the playoffs last year, suspensions and injuries could put a strain on their roster this year, though the depth of talent may be able to overcome those issue. Topics this episode include:
- The overall tone and tenor of Steelers camp to this point, and some of the key themes emphasized by the coaching staff (2:04)
- Injuries to the Pittsburgh secondary and who may end up playing a bigger role in 2016 due to those injuries (3:42)
- Undrafted free agents that have stood out to this point, both from this year’s undrafted class, as well as the 2015 class that may have spent time on the practice squad over the past year (4:52)
- The battle at punter between incumbent Jordan Berry and undrafted rookie Will Monday, and who appears to have the early edge (7:52)
- The development of Landry Jones as a viable backup to Ben Roethlisberger, given Roethlisberger’s injury history, and how the staff feels about the depth at the position heading into the year (9:10)
- The running back situation due to the suspension of Le’Veon Bell to start the season, and who projects to pick up the slack in his absence (11:32)
- Pittsburgh’s tight ends and the projected rotation with the retirement of Heath Miller in the offseason (13:32)
- Other key stories to watch throughout the next four weeks of training camp (16:34)
If you are having trouble with the embedded player, listen on our SoundCloud page.
Subscribe to ITP: The Podcast on our iTunes page.
Follow us on Twitter @ITPylon.