If you feel like your football flotilla is firmly planted in the middle of the June doldrums, you are not alone. Fortunately, despite the lack of any major action at the pro or college level right now, we still have plenty to talk about. The June 6 Quick Kicks Podcast lays the groundwork for discussing a potential top-10 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. Mark Schofield and Chuck Zodda are joined by new ITP addition Jon Ledyard as he sheds some light on Auburn DE Carl Lawson, who despite missing significant time due to injury, has the traits to warrant top-10 consideration. Topics this show include:
- The key traits Lawson possesses that allow him to be in consideration for a top pick despite having just one sack over the past two seasons (2:16)
- Lawson’s versatility as a pass-rusher and the techniques he employs, and whether he has enough versatility to compete at the NFL level (4:03)
- The level of competition seen on Lawson’s tape and how viewing a prospect playing against inferior competition can help illuminate intangibles in terms of compete level and motor (6:53)
- Lawson’s lack of play-recognition skills, the reasons for this issue, and how he can look to grow in this area heading into the fall (14:43)
- Injury history and the concern related to a player who has missed nearly half of his college career due to two major injuries (16:46)
If you are having trouble with the embedded player, listen on our SoundCloud page.
Subscribe to ITP: The Podcast on our iTunes page.
Follow us on Twitter @ITPylon.