With the NFL Draft in the rearview mirror, you may think that teams are on cruise control for the next 10 weeks until training camp. In fact, the reality is that this is one of the busiest times of the year for franchises. The May 10 Quick Kicks Podcast takes you inside the post-draft free agent period, looking at movement for players, coaches, and scouts that tends to happen during this time. Hosts Mark Schofield and Chuck Zodda are joined by Dan Hatman, director of The Scouting Academy, who helps break down what happens during this time of year. Topics include:
- The biggest items on the docket for NFL teams during this time of year and the types of transactions they will engage in heading into mid-June (0:58)
- The hiring of coaching and scouting staffs that occurs over the early summer months and the roles and duration of those hires (3:06)
- The amount of true roster construction that occurs during this time of year, and whether players from the back end of the roster are really able to compete for spots on the final 53-man roster (6:30)
- Players who survived and thrived in the NFL despite coming off the lower part of a 90-man roster and were not expected to see time in an NFL game (7:48)
- How teams begin to prepare for the following year’s draft, including how the BLESTO scouting service operates and the information shared between various NFL franchises (10:52)
If you are having trouble with the embedded player, listen on our SoundCloud page.
Subscribe to ITP: The Podcast on our iTunes page.
Follow us on Twitter @ITPylon.
Filligar, “Guilty Good Intentions“
Ronald Jenkees, “Disorganized Fun“