Despite our focus on the NFL Draft, the more immediate priority for NFL teams is free agency, which kicks off next week. Hosts Chuck Zodda and Mark Schofield are joined by Jason Fitzgerald from Over The Cap on the March 3 Quick Kicks Podcast to help make sense of the free agency puzzle, as teams try to figure out how best to allocate financial resources to fill holes on their teams prior to the draft. Topics this show include:
- Jason’s background and how he found his way into studying the NFL salary cap and his path to building Over The Cap into what it is today (1:35)
- The concept of backloading free agent contracts and how it may often put off the inevitable for franchises, but eventually catches up to them as the dead money eventually becomes too much for a team to deal with in a given year (3:16)
- With all of the issues associated with backloaded deals, the reasons why many teams are unable or unwilling to offer front-loaded deals (6:37)
- Whether any of the recent moves by teams with the franchise tag were surprising this year (8:14)
- Muhammad Wilkerson and whether or not there is a long-term deal out there for the lineman or if both the team and player seem content to take the process year-by-year (12:35)
- Teams that are either up against the cap this offseason or ones that have a significant amount of room to spend heading into the 2016 season (13:37)
- How much of the average NFL contact is actually earned out by players due to the non-guaranteed nature of NFL contracts (17:01)
- Our Twitter Question of the Day, “What are some passing concepts that teams will lean on to make a rookie quarterback comfortable?” (21:02)
If you are having trouble with the embedded player, listen on our SoundCloud page.
Subscribe to ITP: The Podcast on our iTunes page.
Follow us on Twitter @ITPylon.