With two days until the Super Bowl, Mark Schofield and Chuck Zodda wrap up their week of coverage with a look at the matchup on special teams in the February 5 Quick Kicks Podcast. With a number of contests this postseason having come down to critical special teams plays, there is an increased scrutiny on kicks, punters, and returners as we inch closer to Sunday. Topics this show include:
- Chuck and Mark singing Aerosmith’s “Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing” in honor of the late Harry Stamper as well as honoring a bet made at the beginning of the year (0:00)
- The battle on kickoffs between Carolina and Denver, two teams that have struggled to put together consistent returns during the year and likely are not major threats (3:36)
- Brad Nortman and the massive distance he can produce, as well as in the inconsistency that shows up on his kicks from his own zone occasionally (4:24)
- Whether or not there is any common factor in Nortman’s weaker kicks that Denver may be able to exploit (6:30)
- Britton Colquitt’s recent hot streak and how his outstanding directional ability may a key to Denver in a tight game that is decided by field position (8:45)
- The long snappers for both teams and whether this is an area of any weakness (11:51)
- Who holds the record for the longest punt in Super Bowl history and whether or not Nortman has a chance to break it, as well as a discussion on the physics of ball flight (14:53)
- Super Bowl predictions and bets (17:28)
If you are having trouble with the embedded player, listen on our SoundCloud page.
Subscribe to ITP: The Podcast on our iTunes page.
Follow us on Twitter @ITPylon.